This law went into effect on July 1, 2015
What Does This Mean?
- No use of hand held electronic devices capable of providing voice or data communications while driving or temporarily halted in traffic.
- This includes cell phones, GPS devices, tablets, Ipods, Ipads or other devices that require data entry.
- Emergency Calls to 911 or other public safety agencies are allowed.
- Bluetooth or other hands free electronic modes are allowed.
- One hand non-cellular 2 way radio use is allowed.
- Teen drivers under the age of 18 will not be allowed to use any electronic devices, even if hands free, except to report emergencies.
Any violations of this law will be subject to financial penalties and possible license suspension or revocation.
This law is important because the use of hand-held electronic devices is a leading cause of distracted driving crashes.